MISSIONARY SISTERS OF MARY, QUEEN OF THE WORLD – AUSTRALIA
The congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of the World was originally the Congregation of the Lovers of the Holy Cross, founded by the missionary Bishop Lambert de la Motte in 1670 in Vietnam. When, in 1975, the Sisters arrived in Australia they first lived at St. Joseph’s novitiate in Baulkham Hills.
After two years they moved to Lawson, but bushfires in 1977 destroyed their convent. It was this disaster that brought them to Granville on 16 February 1978. Since arriving in Granville, the Sisters have occupied St. Joseph’s Convent and, more recently, the former Patrician Brothers monastery in William Street.
At the heart of the vocation of the Sisters is the call to follow Jesus on His way to the Cross and to live the life of consecration under the protection of our Mother Mary as models of complete fidelity to God. The Sisters place a strong emphasis on the life of prayer as essential for the fruitfulness of their apostolic work in the Church. The Sisters commitment to the Granville community, to the parish and to the Vietnamese community witnesses to their love of Our Lord.
In Granville, the Sisters apostolic work includes assisting at Holy Trinity Primary and the CMP Store on Jamieson Street, selling religious and devotional items. Our parish is blessed to have such holy and committed Sisters who dedicate so much to us and are a constant source of love and fun.
The Sisters can always be found in the church either playing the organ, singing and reading at Mass, assisting the children’s liturgy, putting up banners, supporting the Parish Youth Group, helping out with all the social activities like our parish fair and barbecues, and generously lending statues to adorn the church and to aid our devotions.
In April 2018, our parish community joined with our sisters in celebrating the occasion of their 40th anniversary of ministry in Granville. The Mass was celebrated by the apostolic nuncio, his Excellency, Archbishop Tito Yllana. In addition to mark the milestone, the chapel of Our Lady of Fatima was dedicated in gratitude to the sisters for their tireless work and ministry to the parish.
Convent for the Sisters of Mary, Queen of the World – Australia
96 – 100 Woodville Rd, Granville NSW 2142
Postal Address: PO Box 725, Granville NSW 2142
Phone: (02) 9637 1827